Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What Does It Mean?

Shots ring out all around me...I'm lost.
Like a lost child in a mall or a grocery store.
I scream out for help, but nobody answers.
I swore an oath and I will uphold that oath, but at what cost?
I will defend my country...I will give my life.
However, am I defending my country or am I aiding in the invasion of another?
The "enemies" around me are shooting; however, I understand why they do it.
I'd do the same thing if I were in their position.
For some, family and country are the only important things in life.
If my actions and the actions of my fellow countrymen killed their family...country is all they have to cling on to.
People in other parts of the world have different perspectives on life.
We can all learn from them, as they can from us.
Many do not have what I have or live the life that I do.
Are they wrong for being different?
Is this a "justifiable" war?
I could be at home playing catch with my father right before supper.
I could be in school right now learning how to make this world a better place.
Am I making the world a better place now?
Can the world be improved peacefully or must force be used?
I miss my family...oh, how I long to laugh with them and to eat a home cooked meal with them.
My Dad understood why I enlisted, but my Mother can't come to grips with it.
They wanted me to go to college, but I wanted to see the world.
I wanted to help other people out and to serve my country.
However, who am I serving now?

No comments: