Thursday, April 28, 2011

Men and Moisturized Skin: A Modern Day Male Dilemma or An Evolutionary Change?

Do guys really worry about how soft and hydrated their skin is? I'm sure you've all seen these Dove bodywash black & white commercials with the popular guy talking about anything but having dry skin. Or the Old Spice commercials with the shirtless guy that says a bunch of random things and bounces around from place to place. You know, he says things like, "Look at me. Now, I'm a horse. Now, I'm underwater and swimming with mermaids. Now, I got your girlfriend two tickets to her favorite artist. No, wait...now, they're pearls." Yeah, that one. What ever happened to guys using a plain bar of soap and washing their hair with Suave or some other cheap shampoo?

Call me a simple man, but I only use a bar of Irish Spring soap and bottle of cheap shampoo. And I don't even wash my hair everyday. I dated a hairdresser for a while and she told me that it's better for guys to not wash their hair every single time they shower. That's it. No loofah, no rag, and certainly no scrub bar (whatever that Axe bodywash thingie is).

I don't see this as a problem, because, let's face it, who am I to tell someone else what's right and how to live their life? I just find it, you know, weird.

You may consider me an old-school type of thinker when it comes to guys. I think most guys should be able to: change their own oil, install window-washing fluid, replace brake pads and wiper blades, rotate their tires, and, God forbid, fix a flat tire; should know the basics of all major sports (goals are scored in hockey and soccer; runs are scored in baseball; and points are scored in basketball, football, and boxing); can fix a few things around the house (duct tape and glue definitely count...it saves money!); and doesn't need more than 7 minutes to take a shower. Yes, I have taken showers that lasted longer than 7 minutes, but those usually came after a camping trip, a long hike, playing a baseball/basketball/football game, etc. But, seriously, if you're a guy and you're in the shower washing and conditioning your hair, exfoliating something, you know what a pumice is and you actually use one, and you use a loofah or a scrub thingie...you're the reason that I'm writing this blog.

Now, I know that not every guy is alike and that some guys are, you know, "guys", and some guys are a "guys' guy". Maybe my viewpoint has a lot to do with the kind of men I was raised by (my father and my Mom's father). Even my Mom was a tomboy growing up and it definitely showed while she raised three young boys. I always remember camping (not the kind where everyone drinks themselves to oblivion and passes out in a random tent, but "real" camping), baseball games, and watching horror movies.

Maybe this is just a form of change and evolution of the male species. Maybe our gender is becoming less "hands-on", caring more about their physical appearance and spending time "maintaining" their looks, and, in a way, becoming lazier (just look at the time spent playing video games and the decreasing number of men in college). Now, I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty or to rag on anyone. I'm simply stating my opinion...even if I'm alone on this particular viewpoint. This wasn't a calculated essay or something that I invested a lot of time in; it's simply a blog/idea that I had and decided to run with. Well, I'm going to go put on my work boots and my Carhartts, do some yard work, and then come back inside to take a 3 minute shower.

No comments: