Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day 2019

For the last seven years, I have been making it a habit to drive out to Tahoma National Cemetery to visit my Grandparents every Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. The cemetery is located in Covington, WA just off of Highway 18 on a stretch of highway between Auburn and I-90. My wife and I have been visiting them twice a year since Veteran's Day in 2014. Today will be our 5th year of doing it. Every Memorial Day, the Tahoma National Cemetery has Boy Scouts, VFWs, local schools, etc. that volunteer to clean up the headstones, plant flowers, and put an American flag next to each burial site. Just visiting the cemetery is an amazing experience for anyone visiting friends, family, or just showing their respect for those that served in the military. What started off as a simple bi-annual visit to my Grandparents has become time-honored tradition in my family. Each time that we've visited, it has been an opportunity to catch up with my Grandparents. In the past few years, it has been a chance to catch up with them and tell them that someone I loved has passed on. This year, we will go out there and catch up with my Grandparents and tell them how much we miss them, my Mom, and our son, Kasen Everest Cornwall. It has been a fairly difficult last few months since he passed away and there are days where I just miss him so very much. As I type this latest blog entry, we are about to start getting the day started. We will be leaving here in a little bit, drive up to the cemetery, grab some Starbucks on the way, show our respects, and drive down to my brother's place to see his new puppy. I don't think that either of my brothers will be able to make it up with us this Memorial Day and that's fine. It's something that I have made a tradition and anyone that wishes to join us are more than welcome. I hope that all of you enjoy your Memorial Day weekend. Remember why we celebrate Memorial Day and remember to honor those that fought and died for this wonderful country of ours.

No comments: