Thursday, June 5, 2008

For I Am

I bow my head in shame, for I am no better than you,
You beg for money, talk politics, trying to make enough to eat,
I hide my eyes from yours, trying so hard to ignore you,
The poorly tuned guitar strums notes of equality and injustice,
I bow my head in shame, for I am no better than you,
I work and have an education, my accomplishments cause me to swell in pride,
I buy excessive material things, I ignore the truth,
You hang your head in shame, cardboard sign states "Vietnam vet",
I drive by apathetically, for I am no better than you,
You have no material possessions, a simple coin donation makes you smile,
I laugh at the handicapped and complain about the quality of my food,
I scowl because I'm tired, you slept on the sidewalk in the rain,
I park my car and pay the meter, "no change man, I'm sorry",
Frustration sets in, my cell phone service has failed me again,
You sit alone, wondering what past choices you'd wish to change,
Meter maid slowly rolls up, no time left, "Where is he?" you wonder,
You insert your only quarter into the slot, I ignore you as I get into my car,
I mock you amongst my friends, you remember the days when you had friends,
I see you as I leave the bar, laughing and stumbling I proceed,
Seeing you removes my smile, for I am no better than you,
Ordering my lunch, short .75 cents, debit card left at home,
Three old quarters rattle on the counter, your daily earnings disappear into the register,
I take out the trash, glance and see you sleeping in the corner,
I hang my head as I walk by, for I am no better than you,
While on my cell phone, I drop my wallet as I walk by you,
Tap on my shoulder, a smile, my wallet has been returned,
Walking home after dinner, doggy bag full of warm leftovers,
Hoping I don't see you, for this bag is my lunch for tomorrow,
It's not that I don't like you, but it's the guilt that I feel,
And this guilt causes me to hang my head, for I am no better than you,
Finally, my lunch break has arrived, I sprint to the burger joint,
Busy lunch hour, only seat left is sitting across from you,
I contemplate leaving, but our eyes once again meet,
I show an indifferent smile, I order a #5, make that two #5s please,
Waiting for my food, you quietly sit, observing others around you,
The food arrives, you get up to leave, "Hey man, hold up",
"Hold that table for me", you're confused as I walk up,
"Sit down, man. Are you hungry?" I say, you look surprised,
"This is the least that I could do", "Tell me about yourself",
Time passes by, two new friends enjoy an unplanned meal together,
Ideas, memories, ideologies, and jokes, an unexpected connection,
A "thank you", a hand shake, a smile, and a newly embraced friendship,
"Don't bow your head as you pass, you have nothing to be ashamed of",
"Oh" I say, "if only you knew of the guilt I feel",
"If only I knew what that felt like, my shame greatly outweighs your guilt",
"That is why I bow my head as I pass, for I am no better than you".

No comments: