Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday June 23rd

First day of summer classes. I didn't sleep well at all last night. This trend appears to follow me whenever I have something to look forward to. I woke up this morning looking like Don Imus after a 5 day meth/coke and hooker binge. I'm tired, but motivated. I was the only person in a class of 35 to purchase the textbook so I know that I already have a headstart on everyone in class. Classes will be daily from 9:30 to 11:30. It seems intense, but having to focus on only one class could help me improve my GPA by the fall quarter. I'm taking Arabic in the fall along with China-US relations and a class on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Goodbye social life and hello black eye rings and crow's feet wrinkles around my eyes.

I made the Dean's List last quarter which surprised even me. I know that I did good on all of my finals and final papers, but I didn't expect to do as well as I did. I received a 3.6 in Critique and Theory, a 3.5 in Russian Politics, and a 3.5 in Ancient Political Theory. I received my associate's degree with honors, but I've never made a dean's list or honor roll because I've never been able to attend school full-time due to the fact that I've always had a job.

I've discovered a new band named Mogwai and I really love their stuff. I also have a chance to see David Cross perform stand-up on July 11th, but I have to see about a few things. I'm also leaning towards attending the weekend long Sub-Pop 20th Anniversary festival at Marymoor in Renton. Green River (early Pearl Jam), the Vasolines (one of their 3 US shows EVER and Cobain's writing influence), Kinski, and Mudhoney are all slated to appear. It's also music that has influenced and put Seattle on the music scene. I'm sure Nirvana would play this show if Kurt was still around today. Their first label was Sub-Pop.

I'll close with this. A lot of reading awaits me and my eyes are starting to get heavy. Tully's Fair Trade coffee might help me a little, but it tends to wear off quickly.

No comments: