Saturday, January 27, 2007

Uninsured Motorists

I'm not an insensitive person. Believe me, I'm really not. However, there comes a point where I have to draw a line. That particular line is responsibility. I happen to know a few really decent people. They obey the law, don't cause harm to others, etc. However, these few individuals don't have auto insurance. I can understand how unfair society can be at times and that those who prosper are the only ones who reaps its rewards. This can be quite true, but yet, so far from the actual truth. The truth of the matter is that everyone has responsibility. Whether you are highly educated or a high school dropout, everyone has some level of responsibility. I can see where someone has to work to make ends meet, but I dare ask a few questions. Just to make ends meet does not require that much of an income. If your rent is too high, move to one that is more to your financial liking. Maybe you smoke...quit smoking. It has been proven that the average smoker spends well over $2,500 a year on cigarettes alone. Not to also rule out the fact that your medical problems will add up as you age and continue to smoke. Maybe you eat out once in awhile. Learn to cook. Eating out is a LUXURY, it is not a necessity. Besides, cooking at home is much healthier and is a lot cheaper. Other needs (not wants) include: drinking, cable, HUGE televisions, DVDs, music, fancy cars, etc. These things are not necessary to exist in this world, therefore are not something that demands your attention financially. Auto insurance, at least in the state of Washington, is a law. A law enacted by elected officials by tax paying citizens. With that in mind, the roads are funded by tax payers who have enacted and voted for these laws. If one is to operate an automobile, they better be able to legally provide a driver's license and proof of auto insurance. If you use the roads to drive on, you have to abide by all laws enacted by our elected officials. Therefore, driving on tax payer supported roads (federal, state, county, and city) without auto insurance is a crime. If you can't afford auto insurance, you can't afford to drive. If you need to get to work, you can take a bus. It might require that you swallow some pride, but you would be abiding by the law. Our current legal system does not enforce this law in the manner that they should. For example, when I got my new car (when I was 19), I drove to school in an insured vehicle without current tabs. Keep in mind that I was getting my new car insured and licensed that day and so the new car was unable to be used. I was pulled over for expired tabs (this I don't argue and is therefore completely my fault), but I also didn't have proof of auto insurance. My ticket, after it was all said and done, was over $700. I decided to take it to the municipal court because I did have auto insurance, but I didn't have proof of it in the car with me at the time. I went to the court and provided proof that I have auto insurance and the judge dropped that charge, but I was still responsible for the expired tabs portion. I paid this. In today's legal system, if you get caught without auto insurance and you really DON'T have auto insurance, you get a $700 ticket. That's it. Now if the average uninsured driver only gets caught once every two years or 3 years, they only have to pay $700 each time. How much do insured drivers have to pay over that course of time? Roughly $100 a month. That's a total of $2,400 or $3,600 total compared to $700. Just by looking at that, I would choose to take the $700 option. However, I care about the wellbeing of society. Therefore I support the current laws of our state by abiding by the laws. If I get into an auto accident which is my fault (which hasn't happened yet), I have the insurance that will make the situation more just for both parties. I may have caused the other party pain and suffering, but my auto insurance will try to accomodate them. What happens when an uninsured party gets into an accident? The person with insurance will have to cover the entire accident and might even end up paying a deductible for making a claim and their insurance rates might actually go up. The uninsured motorist will only have to deal with a $700 ticket from our legal system and that's all. Now, is that fair? The uninsured motorist doesn't have to pay for the time spent on arranging a claim, filing paperwork, taking time off of work, dealing with insurance hassles, etc. None. The only thing that they will be out of is a car (if it was damaged beyond properly operating) and the $700 ticket which most end up not paying. That means the unpaid $700 goes to collections and the taxpayers having to cover the debt to the legal system. What does this tell us? Our legal system MUST hold people more responsible for insuring themselves and covering their debt to society and other private institutions. Instead of giving them a $700 ticket, why not make it $5,000? Why not $10,000? Why not tossing them in jail for 6 months? Is this too mean? Our legal system must hold its citizens more responsible for their actions. I understand that the auto insurance industry LOVES this idea, but the bottom line is that our law abiding citizens are constantly being heckled by people who do not and refuse to follow the law. We need to focus on this point and put effort into enacting stricter laws. Our legal system is failing if our people are failing each other.

No comments: