Sunday, October 28, 2007

Open Letter to Red Sox Fans

Roger Dorn once said, "cut through the crap Vaughn. I've only got one thing to say to you...". I'll leave the rest out because it doesn't apply here. However, the tone in which that was said does apply here. After feeling sorry for Boston Red Sox fans for so many years, I can finally say, "Shut the hell up!" I've hated the NY Yankees my entire life for the simple fact that they were always good. I know that isn't a valid reason to hate someone or something, but it's true. I enjoy struggle and watching the team adjust through difficult times. The Yankees are now going through this and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Now, I enjoyed watching the 2004 postseason and anyone who knows anything about baseball knows why I feel that way. It was great to watch. However, after that year I have started to hate Boston and their fans in the same manner that I hate Yankees and their fans. They are all pompous assholes that walk around all day with their noses in the air. Why? Have you guys forgotten the difficulties that you went through to get here? Enjoy the moment, don't rub it in our faces. I have no problem watching a team win a major event, but I do have a problem with their fans rubbing it in everyone's faces...especially mine. I have never had a team win it all. I've had the Mariners win 116 games in 2001 only to lose to the Yankees. I have been there when the Seattle Seahawks went to Super Bowl XL only to lose the game due to terrible calls and an East Coast atmosphere. I have never been able to run in the streets, partying with my fellow sports fans. This doesn't get to happen much around here in Seattle. To add to that misery, our beloved Seattle Supersonics appear to be heading out of town at the end of the season.

The point that I'm tying to make is this: if you win, win with class; if you lose, do so in a respectful manner. Sports is about change and struggle. That's why more men watch sports than soap operas. The drama is so thick that you could cut it with a knife. I enjoy watching those types of games. I remember being emotionally hurt after watching Chris Webber call a timeout against North Carolina in the NCAA final; Seattle come up short against Green Bay in the playoffs; the Mariners toss their MLB's best record down the drain by losing to the Yankees, etc.

To the fans in Boston and New England: shut the hell up! You have a team that has finally figured out how to win games (spending a lot of $$$). You also had the Boston Celtics that won more championships than I could count during their existence. The New England Patriots are off to the best start ever this year and have been the team to beat since Drew Bledsoe injured himself and Tom Brady came in. Now, you have the Red Sox...2-time World Series champs. Win and celebrate with dignity. Don't come out to Seattle next year to drink loads of beer and taunt our fans who come to merely enjoy the game. Seattle has some of the best fans in the country and I'll say that until the day that I die. When the Red Sox are playing the Mariners...don't shout unnecessary things, don't taunt our fans that have never experienced what you have experienced, and don't rub winning in the faces of the loser.

If you do you'll put the Red Sox in the same boat as the Yankees...and you don't want that...believe me. So enjoy this win Boston, but if you don't do it respectfully prepare to face an abundance of hatred whereever you may play.

No comments: