Monday, October 15, 2007

University of Washington

Well, well, well. Here I am. I finally have both of my feet on the ground in my first semester at UofW. Thus far, I have been reading non-stop. It's not bad, but it does cut into my personal time. I started my new job at UPS last Monday. On the 15th I will be officially loading trucks, etc. It may not seem like much, but it's a physical workout. I have missed physical labor for so long. I didn't mind working in an office, being confined to a chair for 8 hours a day. However, it does take a toll on your ability to stay in shape and get paid for something that doesn't require much brain activity. This is the perfect college job. They pay $3000 for my tuition ($1500 for two semesters), they loan me $2000 a year for up to 4 years (after 4 years of employment I only have to pay back the interest), I will have full medical benefits, complete dental and eye care, and the hours are perfect (5pm-10pm Monday-Friday).

I have everything that I'm going to need for the next 4 years of my life. That's right, I plan on getting a master's degree out of this. I've waited too long for this and there is no way that I'll go back to the work-force without all of my schooling done. I feel as though I have a decent grasp on the material, but it's the reading that is killing me. I get, roughly, 5 hours of sleep a night. I walk to Tully's (Starbuck's major competitor and a fair trade shop) each morning for a cup of joe. Didn't like coffee a few years ago, but that has changed.

I feel extremely old here and I can tell by the way that these kids talk. The majority of them don't seem immature, but when they open their mouths the difference becomes apparent. I'm taking three 5 credit courses right now: International Conflict, International Human Rights, and Fantasy Literature (not something I planned on taking, but does help me graduate). The reading is intense and I find it hard at times to devote adequate time to this.

I love the fact that I don't drive 75 miles each day (when I was at my old job of 4 years) and I don't miss getting road rage. I admit it, I get road rage pretty bad sometimes. I never flip someone off or scream at them. I merely honk my horn and think to myself, "I wish they would get genital herpes." You see? This isn't 1984 and there are no Thought Police.

I will post on here as much as I can. Hope all of you are doing well and I'd love to hear from you all. Until then...spiral out.

No comments: