Monday, August 18, 2008

Through the Eyes of A Child

The eyes of a child, innocent, ignorant, and yet so full of wonder,
Nearly every experience is a "first", every day brings something new,
Amazement, horror, bright, honest, and full of life,
The gaze of a child carries much energy and electricity,
Impossible to ignore and eager to learn,
What do I look like to a child?
What happened to those eyes that I once had?
A child...
Life's most absorbent sponge waiting to suck it all in,
As we sit by and only suck in what we want, what we can,
We age and we create channels. Channels with biases,
Children know no biases, only from what they're taught,
What if they were never taught biases? Would they be different?
What does it take for them to maintain their absorbency?
To be so young and vulnerable, yet amaze with their intelligence,
To make crucial decisions as an adult, but to do them through the eyes of a child,
What would be different? Would it be better? Would it be worse?
What if learning is its own punishment? What if children understand more than we do?
The first tickle, the first sight of fireworks, the first taste of lemons,
All amaze and bewilder a child,
How often do we experience situations or events like that?
The more we do and experience the fuller our "sponges" become,
Learning is the pursuit of answers,
Answers to questions only learning brings,
I miss the simpleness of being a child and the joy of experimenting,
Maturity is synonymous with pain, aggravation, and loss,
Loss of innocence, loss of life, loss of love, and loss of inner-joy,
The more I learn the more I become disgusted with the world,
The more I learn the more I feel helpless in a world full of uncontrollable situations,
The more I learn the more I feel in control yet not, all at the same time,
The more I control the more I feel lost and unable to grasp basic concepts,
Through the eyes of a child, what have I done wrong?
Do I need to regress and allow myself to be carried?
Too old to be carried by my parents, who shall carry me until I die?
God? The existence of a God is troublesome for me and has given me no comfort,
A child...taken care of by his/her parents, a child...taken care of by the world,
An adult...cared for by his/her family/loved ones, an adult...neglected by the world,
As we age the world gets smaller and more complex,
I fear complexity and wonder about the complications that accompany it,
What happened to simple? The simplicity once felt as a child, simplicity as a whole,
My entire world was simple, black and white, easier to enjoy,
Enjoyment as an adult is much harder and not as easy to come by,
Is this inevitable or is it a fault unto myself? Where, if even, did I go wrong?
I wish to close my eyes and open them to see the world through the eyes of a child,
To love what I hate and to embrace what I have always rejected and avoided,
To hug those I dislike and to find laughter at every difficult situation,
The eyes of a child, I miss the closeness we used to share,
Everything was 50/50, nothing was ever taken for granted,
If you miss me as well, meet me in my favorite childhood memory,
You remember, don't you? It is a memory only you and I shared,
As I close my eyes tonight I'll be calling for you, beckoning for your return,
I've missed you as I'm sure you have missed me, please return with haste,
You won't have to look very hard, it's quite obvious where I'll be,
I'll be sitting there, waiting to unlearn what I've learned,
We'll have much to talk about, catching up is always enjoyable,
Out of everything in my life there is only one thing that I miss,
The view that I once saw through the eyes of an eager and innocent child.

No comments: