Thursday, May 15, 2008

Feeling Good

I don't usually get the opportunity to write about my successes, but I feel that this one is justified. I have always performed fairly well on midterms and finals. However, I got back my midterm from my Russian political class today with the grade of a 3.7. My jaw dropped and I double-checked the grade to make sure that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. They, to my surprise, were not. I did receive a 3.7 and I reflected on what I had to go through to get to this point. The first two weeks of this class we had to read, no exaggeration, 750 pages of Russian political history. 750 pages in the first two weeks! For the remaining 9 weeks of the quarter we only had to read 600 pages. I read more pages in the first two weeks of class than I would for the last 9 weeks. I spent many nights under the soft glow of light in the Suzzalo library (the very quiet and majestic looking one). I walked home around 2am three nights a week after leaving the library. I was up all night roughly 8 or 9 times total during the first 6 weeks of class. I had no idea that my grade would be this high. I was expecting a grade around a 3.2 or something like that. After getting my midterm back I reread it to see what comments were left. Quite a few comments were left and only one was negative. I surprised myself on this one. This gives my sailboat another gust of wind and I feel extremely motivated. As for my other classes, I'm doing pretty good in those as well. I've got to get up at 4:30am tomorrow morning to register for my fall classes. I NEED (emphasis added!) to get my foreign language class first. If I don't, it won't be the end of the world because I can request to get squeezed in, but I will have to spend all summer wondering whether or not the professor will even let me in the class. I want a solid answer because I don't like being in the mental state of not knowing something. The language that I will be taking will be Arabic. If I pick up on this as well as I have with other languages in the past than I will be fine. If I do really well I might be able to get into a governmental job where I can assist our country with our current struggles in the Middle East. Politics aside, I want to help the United States become a better country and I want to help change our image in the world. I want to help Americans understand why things are the way that they are. I used to not know and that is what pushed me to learn as much as I could about as much as I could. Take one look at my bookshelves and you'll understand what I mean. Lesson learned: sometimes I surprise even myself and I know that I will not fail in my pursuit of a very rewarding career. Thank you.

No comments: