Thursday, May 15, 2008

Responding To Messages

I may be the only person who complains about this, but I think that it should be mentioned. Constructing an email or a message doesn't take that much time and/or brain use. I find it extremely disrespectful if I send someone an email, message, text message, etc. and I don't even get a response. I understand that responding to text messages at work can pose a problem; therefore, I consider this a valid and acceptable excuse. I have no problem getting a response saying "Thanks for writing me. I'm a little busy right now, but I'll make sure to respond to this as soon as I get time to sit down to formulate a thought." That's all that it takes. However, just reading the message and moving on as if nothing ever happened is rude and inconsiderate. If you've got time to sit down and read messages, you've got time to respond to each one of them in some way. We live in a time where many things are instant. I have experienced this rude behavior from both men and women. If you disagree with what I've said please feel free to comment below. However, doing so might take up too much of your "precious time". You're not a movie star or a musician so don't try to tell me that you get too many messages to respond to on a daily basis. That's just an excuse to avoid assuming blame and responsibility for being inconsiderate and lazy. What are we, a nation of 3 year olds? Just remember that people usually send messages with hopes of a response. People take time to formulate their thoughts and put them in the form of a message. The least you could do is acknowledge this effort on their behalf and show them some respect.

No comments: